Saturday, November 20, 2010

I need a little Christmas

I usually start listening to Christmas music sometime in August. I hide it of course, because some people just wouldn't understand. They might think I am weird. I'm not. Well, maybe I am a little. I imagine people in the cars next to me think I'm really weird if they see me singing Frosty the Snowman at the top of my lungs...while it's 102 degrees outside.

Christmas has always been my favorite holiday. I know it's overly commercialized, but what I love about it is the feeling of Christmas. If you are like me I don't even need to explain it. It just is.

Last night we went to a wonderful community theater production of "White Christmas." The stage play is quite different from the movie, but a lovely story just the same. The play captured a little of that feeling I'm talking about, especially when the audience was invited to sing the well-known and well-loved title song. This time one of my favorite songs made me really sad, though.

I can't sing.

The doctor doesn't believe my vocal cords have been affected, even though much of the time I can't speak very loud. But I can't sing at all. Believe me, I've tried. Nothing comes out, nothing even remotely recognizable as a musical note. I don't like it. I will have to just sit and listen this Christmas, and I don't like it. I don't like it one bit. I'm angry, I'm sad. I'm frustrated.

And it's not fair.


1 comment:

  1. It was fabulous to see your beautiful face (oh and that hubby of yours also!) I promise the singing will come ... it will :-) AND yeppers, I've got my Christmas music out too!

    ReplyDelete