Thursday, October 14, 2010

Is there a secret handshake?

So far very few people are aware of my diagnosis, but I have to be practical in all this. Yesterday I was arranging to have time off work, and all the other things necessary to be out of the office for a while. I decided to confide in one of my coworkers who happens to be a three-time cancer survivor. I admire her for her sense of humor and directness and knew she might be able to offer some much needed work-related moral support.

One of the things she told me as I was leaving her office was "welcome to the club." Now I didn't see this as weird at all, because I had already thought about it. I knew I had already become a statistic when I heard the diagnosis. You know, that one-in-however-many-will-be-diagnosed-with-cancer-in-their-lifetime statistic.

I've never been much of a joiner, so now that I'm in the club I have lots of questions so I'll know how to act. Is there a code of conduct? A dress code? Is there a tree house?

Hopefully as the next few weeks unfold I will have a lot more answers. The scariest part of all this for me is simply not knowing.


No comments:

Post a Comment