Sunday, October 17, 2010

Just don't look in the closet.

I spent my weekend cleaning the house.

Any time we've gone on vacation I have always made sure the house is clean. I mentioned this to a co-worker once and she said she was the same way. She told me she likes to come home to a clean house too. I agreed with her at the time, but deep down I think the reason might be that I want the house to be clean in case I don't come back.

I don't want anyone to come into the house after I'm gone and see I'm a messy housekeeper. That in itself is funny for two reasons. First, because in reality I
am a crappy housekeeper. Second, if something happens to me is anyone actually going to care if my house isn't clean?

Seriously. I've always been a semi-bad housekeeper and it's gotten much worse now that I travel so much for my job. The last thing I want to do when I come home is scrub a toilet. (Disclaimer here: I do have a wonderful house husband helping me take care of a lot of this, but he is really a "touch up" kinda guy. He doesn't do the heavy-duty cleaning unless he's following me around. But it's okay. He
fixes dinner, washes dishes, vacuums, and does windows. I like that.)

Anyway, if you just glanced at our house on any given day you'd think I was only a minimally bad at keeping things clean and orderly. If you are just doing a casual walk-through you might notice a little dust, or a mirror that has splash spots. That's because you aren't looking very close, and you certainly didn't look behind the closed doors. But, be warned - if you open a closet door do so at your own risk. All the stuff I am too lazy to organize, all the stuff I really need to throw out, all the stuff I am just not ready to deal with yet ends up in the closet.


Yesterday morning I woke up thinking about all the things I need to do before I have surgery. At the top of my list was making sure the house is clean, so this weekend I cleaned. To the casual observer everything looks great.

Now I wish I had time to clean my closets.



No comments:

Post a Comment